The Fort Brown Memorial Golf Course,
located off of Riverside Boulevard, is not only home to an 18-hole, 6,072
yard course and driving range, but is also the location of historic Fort
Texas, which was built under the command of Gen. Zachary Taylor in the
1840s. Besides being one of South Texas’ exceptional golf courses, markers
and an old Army cannon indicate remnants of the original star-shaped Fort Brown
earthworks left untouched to preserve the significance of the area.
Fort Texas was built on the north bank of the Rio
Grande by the U. S. government in 1846. The Americans were asserting a claim
to disputed territory and needed a fort for defense against Mexican
cannonade or attack from Matamoros. The anticipated attack resulted in the
death of the acting fort commander, Major Jacob Brown, for whom the fort was
renamed. Although the earthworks fort was soon abandoned, later versions of
Fort Brown were involved in the Civil War and military training for both
World Wars. A large portion of the UTB/TSC campus occupies land that once
constituted the fort reservation.