Bldg. 84 − Medical Lab




Text Box: Bldg. 84 − Medical Lab




A.A. Champion Hall


Buildings Home

Aerial Shots

Gorgas Hall


Art Building



Art Annex


Commandant's Quarters



Photo & background courtesy of the Brownsville Historical Association.




This building was named for A.A. Champion, well remembered historian and TSC Board of Trustee from 1968-74.  He helped government officials locate the exact location of the Palo Also Battle Site.  

It is now offices for the Vice President of External Affairs and Dean of Graduate Studies.  It was built around 1870.  William C. Gorgas most likely worked in this building.

Fort Brown Post Records designated it as a Medical Supply & Detention Barracks in 1936 and Medical Offices, Lab & Isolation Wards in 1942.  It was once the physics lab for the college.  Later it was used by the Financial Aid office. 

If you have any other historical information on Bldg. 84 youd like to share with the Hunter Room archives, please visit our homepage.


Text Box: Photographs by The Historic American Buildings Survey (HABSTX-3279) in 1977. 
Check out their website.




Text Box: Photo at left from 1995 Master Plan.  Photograph at right by Tony Lehmann, Jr.  See the evolution and devolution of Brownsville buildings through hundreds of photos at his website 










Text Box: See the Robert Runyon Collection photos of historic Brownsville and Fort Brown.







This Is a work in progress

If you want to congratulate us on setting up a terrific website, write an e-mail or better yet, if youd like to donate photographs,  documents, books or magazines pertaining to our historic city or the Rio Grande Valley to share with future generations of people, please contact us!

Phone: (956) 983-7410

Fax: (956)-983-7105

Email:  jagarcia@utb.edu


The Arnulfo L. Oliveira Literary Society

The University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College

80 Fort Brown

Brownsville, Texas


Buildings Home | Aerials | Gorgas Hall | Morgue | Art Building | Champion Hall | Regiment House | Art Annex | Cavalry | Commandant's

Ghosts of Fort Brown | Hotel Cemetery | Old Morgue | Post Hospital | Guardhouse | Little Chapel

Copyright 2004  The Arnulfo Oliveira Literary Society.  Copyright 2004 The Brownsville Historical Association.  All rights reserved.

This site was last updated 10/20/04